A&M's Elonu to forgo senior season
Texas A&M junior forward Chinemelu Elonu, widely expected to withdraw from the NBA draft, stunned the Aggies by deciding Monday to forgo his senior season.
Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon confirmed Elonuís decision to ESPN.com on Monday afternoon, an hour before the 5 p.m. ET deadline to withdraw.
Ford: NBA Draft buzz
Stay up to date with all the latest trade buzz and rumors on who's going where in the 2009 NBA Draft. Story
Turgeon said the 6-foot-10 Elonu, who had outperformed expectations in predraft workouts, told him it was time to move on. Elonu graduated in May. But, according to Turgeon, losing Elonu is a "big hole" to fill for next season.
The Aggies were already losing senior guard Josh Carter (13.8 ppg) off a 24-10 team that beat BYU in the first round of the NCAA tournament and lost to Connecticut in the second round.
Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Lillard's 3 sends Trail Blazers by Cavaliers
- Thunder rattle Nuggets to grab 7th in a row
- Kobe scores 21 as Lakers get past Grizzlies
- LeBron (ankle) misses practice, game-time call
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Texas A&M Aggies Maroon Basketball Replica Shorts