Bost not returning for Mississippi State
The last player to officially say he's staying in the NBA draft chose the most awkward way to inform his previous coaching staff.
Mississippi State's Dee Bost sent a text to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger late Saturday that he was staying in the NBA draft.
But Bulldogs' coach Rick Stansbury still hadn't heard at midnight ET Saturday when contacted by ESPN.com.
The NCAA's deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft (the deadline for international players and anyone else not affiliated with an NCAA member school is June 14) had already passed and yet the Bulldogs were unaware of Bost's decision.
Finally, Sunday morning, Stansbury said he got word that Bost had decided to stay in the draft.
But the trend has been if a player is leaving Mississippi State he has a shot to be a first-round pick. That's not the case with Bost, who has told the coaching staff he may just play in Europe if he goes undrafted.
Bost was the Bulldogs' lead guard. The good news for Mississippi State was small forward Ravern Johnson will return and withdrew from the NBA draft. The Bulldogs will add heralded forward Renardo Sidney, who missed all of last season while his amateur status was debated. He will have to sit the first nine games of next season.
Stansbury didn't seem too worried about losing his point guard, though, with what he said is depth on the perimeter for next season with incoming point guard Brian Bryant expected to take over the position.
Stansbury is jaded enough that he's no longer surprised when a player leaves abruptly for a pro career that doesn't have any guarantees.
The Bulldogs lost to North Carolina in the third round of the postseason NIT, finishing 24-12.
Andy Katz is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- LeBron: Cavs 'very fragile' amid 4-game skid
- Cavs collapse vs. Raptors, lose 4th straight
- Davis' career-high 43 push Pelicans by Jazz
- Rockets' Howard sits following PRP therapy