Non-qualifier Williams selected by Heat
MIAMI -- The Miami Heat made the 48th pick a historic one, choosing forward Latavious Williams and making him the first player ever to skip college and play a year in the NBA Development League before getting drafted.
The 6-foot-8, 195-pound Williams, who played in high school in Mississippi and Texas, did not qualify academically to play in college at Memphis. So at his mother's urging, he went to the D-League, averaging 7.7 points and 7.7 rebounds this past season for the Tulsa 66ers.
He finished 13th in the D-League in rebounding, and was Miami's fourth second-round selection.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- Lakers greats hail 'right guy' Scott as coach
- Sources: Clippers' Griffin has back fracture
- NBPA elects 1st big league female union chief
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2010 NBA Draft
LATEST DRAFT CONTENT
- adidas Men's Miami Heat Dwyane Wade Replica Revolution 30 Red Basketball Jersey