COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland sophomore center Jordan Williams has filed paperwork to enter his name into the NBA draft, though he does not plan to hire an agent and will leave open the option of returning to school.
Williams averaged 16.9 points and 11.8 rebounds per game for the Terrapins this season.
Maryland coach Gary Williams says he supports the player's decision.
The deadline for underclassmen to withdraw their name from the draft and preserve eligibility is May 8.
Jordan Williams says he's "excited about testing the waters and seeing where I would be."
He says by entering his name in the draft, he will be able get feedback from some NBA coaches and scouts "on what parts of my game need improvement in order to be successful."
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Knicks, Jackson discussed coaching
- Noah declines to talk about Carmelo 'gossip'
- Spurs breeze past Heat with Duncan in form
- Clippers rout Lakers by record 48
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Maryland Terrapins Alley Oop Youth-Sized Basketball