Montross retires after eight seasons
Montross hasn't played since breaking a bone in his left foot while stepping over a child safety gate at his home in the spring of 2002.
"The injury that I have sustained cannot be addressed satisfactorily to get me back onto the court," the 7-foot, 270-pound Montross said in a statement.
The 31-year-old Montross averaged 4.5 points and 4.6 rebounds in eight NBA seasons.
Montross played with six teams in the NBA -- Boston, Dallas, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Detroit and Toronto. He enjoyed a stellar collegiate career at the North Carolina and helped the Tar Heels to the NCAA title in his junior season.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Sterling, Ballmer have 'friendly' talk
- Carter: LeBron wasn't pushed to Cavaliers
- Kings rally late to claim summer-league title
- LeBron kicks off tour of China with pianist
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games Toronto Raptors Pub Table