Teams observe moment of silence for victims
The Memphis players wore black shoes, black headbands and black armbands bearing Gasol's name and number. Gasol, the third-year player from Barcelona, had a black ribbon on his white Grizzlies home jersey for the game against the Los Angeles Clippers.
"It's something people from my country asked me to do, and obviously, I'm all about it," said Gasol, Memphis' leading scorer and rebounder.
Almost 200 people were killed and an estimated 1,400 injured in the terrorist attacks Thursday. The bombs were hidden in backpacks on trains.
"There's nothing we can do," said Gasol, who has talked several times with people in Spain since the attacks. "Nobody has explained very well what happened, and why did it happen. We're just trying to stay together right now.
"It's a tough time for all of us in the country."
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Warriors edge Blazers on Thompson's late 3
- Davis' 40 points, 21 boards power Pelicans
- Clips down Cavs for 11th straight
- Allen gets hot late, leads Heat over Rockets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Memphis Grizzlies Zach Randolph Replica Revolution 30 White Basketball Jersey