Brown breaks bone in pickup game
"Our doctors are confident that the surgery will be successful and that Kwame will be ready for training camp in October," general manager Ernie Grunfeld said Monday.
Grunfeld said Brown was playing with some college players last Sunday when he "turned to run and felt something pop."
Brown notified the Wizards the next day, and the team waited until the swelling had gone down to schedule the surgery.
"He was in great shape," Grunfeld said. "It was unfortunate that it happened, but it was something that happened. We'll deal with it and rehab it and move forward."
Brown, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft, set career highs with 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds last season.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Melo ahead of matchup vs. Bulls: No what-ifs
- Kings owner: Coach must be 'jazz director'
- Bulls' Noah says he'll return to face Knicks
- Spurs to be without Parker, Leonard vs. Griz
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Warriors' Run Ends At 16
- In a battle of the NBA's best, Memphis put an end to Golden State's franchise-best win streak.