Sprewell ticketed for failing to obey officer
Sprewell, who was criticized by NBA Commissioner David Stern for comments he made regarding a contract extension, was riding in a vehicle that was stopped in downtown Minneapolis about 6 p.m. Tuesday, police spokesman Ron Reier said.
Sprewell spoke up while the driver was being questioned about licensing and insurance.
"Somehow, Sprewell attempted to intervene in the situation," Reier said. "He was then ordered to not interfere."
Sprewell ignored the order and was ticketed for failing to obey the lawful order of a police officer, Reier said.
Sprewell has demanded that the team extend his contract, or he'll ask to be traded. Sprewell averaged 16.8 points last season and is due to make $14.6 million this year.
Timberwolves vice president Kevin McHale declined to comment about the citation.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Melo: Knicks bringing in Phil a 'power move'
- Wizards' 4th-quarter rally stuns Nets
- Woodson: Don't feel need to audition for job
- OKC to sit Westbrook in some back-to-backs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Minnesota Timberwolves Ricky Rubio #9 Blue Revolution 30 Swingman Basketball Jersey