Forward resting to allow scar tissue to heal
Bender will be out indefinitely to allow scar tissue to heal, the latest in a series of injuries.
"It's a hit for us, for sure," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said Friday night before facing the Detroit Pistons. "But right now, it's more important for the long term for our franchise that Jonathan is healthy."
The Pacers will rest Bender to allow scar tissue to heal.
Bender has been plagued by the injury for years, missing huge chunks of time, then coming back for a few games, only to miss more time.
"He needs to go through a period of rehab and conditioning," Carlisle said. "Right now, it's too much of a yo-yo, up-and-down situation. We went through the same thing with his other knee last year."
The 7-foot, 235-pound forward has averaged 5.7 points and 2.2 rebounds during his first five seasons.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Kobe critical of himself after loss to Raptors
- Sources: Kings to acquire Gay from Raptors
- Williams, Pierce hope to return vs. Celtics
- Celtics slam Knicks in season's biggest rout
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Indiana Pacers Paul George #24 Game Time Gold T-Shirt