Mavs coach will miss 2-3 weeks
DALLAS -- Mavericks coach Don Nelson had surgery Thursday to repair an almost completely torn right rotator cuff.
"He's doing OK," said assistant coach Avery Johnson before the game and filled in for Nelson. "It was much more painful than he thought."
The 64-year-old Nelson said earlier this week that he has needed surgery for the past eight years. He said the rotator cuff was 90 percent torn and that the origin of the injury might go back to his days as a college player at Iowa.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Veteran Pierce heading to Wizards
- Cavs coach: Wiggins 'not going anywhere'
- Sources: LeBron's Cavs deal for just 2 years
- Heat front-runner to land Deng, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis Dallas Mavericks 24 oz Colossal Wrap Tumbler