Person fills opening created by Brown's departure
INDIANAPOLIS -- Chuck Person is moving from the Indiana Pacers' front office to the bench as an assistant to coach Rick Carlisle.
Person, the NBA Rookie of the Year in 1987 with the Pacers, has been a special assistant with the team the past three years.
He will fill the spot that opened when Mike Brown was hired last week as the head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Person will focus on offense and will continue individual workouts with players.
"He's been with our team in kind of a dual capacity," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Tuesday. "He's worked with management and he's worked with the players. He has been with the coaching staff and the team as well as working up here."
Walsh chose Person with the fourth pick of the 1986 draft, and Person averaged 19 points over six seasons in Indiana. He played 13 NBA seasons and retired in 2000.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Celtics, Mavs talking Rondo trade
- Gasol, Griz overcome Spurs in 3OT thriller
- Hawks send Cavaliers to 'embarrassing' loss
- Sources: Wolves put Brewer back on block
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Starring Woes
- Former running mates LeBron James and Dwyane Wade shared in frustration Wednesday with their teams' plights.