McInnis out undetermined amount of time
"It's a muscle strain in his back, so we've just got to let time go by," coach Lawrence Frank said Monday.
McInnis was injured when he dived for a loose ball during practice Saturday evening. He continued to practice, but woke up in pain Sunday and was taken to Hackensack University Medical Center.
"I couldn't even walk yesterday," McInnis said after missing practice Monday. "There's some improvement, but I'm still in a lot of pain."
McInnis said he wouldn't be able to play in the Nets' preseason opener Tuesday night against Indiana.
The 30-year-old McInnis, the Nets' major offseason acquisition, is expected to spell Jason Kidd at point guard and also get some minutes at shooting guard.
McInnis averaged 12.8 points and 5.1 assists with Cleveland last season, and has career averages of 10.6 points and 4.6 assists in eight years with Denver, Washington, the Los Angeles Clippers, Portland and Cleveland.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Lakers offer coaching job to Scott
- Melo: It was 'always Chicago or New York'
- 'Fortunate' Lakers introduce forward Boozer
- Cavs ink Wiggins; can't trade him for 30 days
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Brooklyn Nets Joe Johnson Replica Revolution 30 Black Basketball Jersey