McGrady could miss season opener
"I'm not sure about that," he told the Houston Chronicle. "It's not just the knees. It's the knees, it's the quads, it's the hips, which ties back in to the knees again. I know people think I'm doing it [holding out McGrady] as a precaution; I'm not doing it as a precaution. I'm doing it because he can't go. There's nothing precautionary about it. We've got to try to get a handle on it now. I don't know how long he'll be out."
Rockets trainer Keith Jones, however, said McGrady made enough progress Thursday for Jones to be confident McGrady will be fine.
"I would hope he would play Wednesday," Jones told the paper. "He's doing a lot better. I think he's going to feel pretty good. He's feeling better today than he was yesterday."
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Love trade talks narrowed to Cavs
- Riley says Heat OK after LeBron's departure
- Sources: 76ers fighting new lottery proposal
- Stern praises Silver for handling of Sterling
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Houston Rockets Gold Coin Etched Acrylic