Bird to develop, market wine under 'Legends' label
BOSTON -- Boston Celtics Hall of Famer Larry Bird is teaming with a California winery to produce a line of wines to be sold under the name "Legends."
|Drink to that|
Other notable athletes in the wine business:
• Mario Andretti
-- Source: USA Today
The Cosentino Signature Wineries, based in Yountville, Calif., plans to roll out the wines beginning in December.
Winery founder Mitch Cosentino said some of the wines will average around $20, while others will sell for between $60 and $70. Cosentino says he was drawn to the idea of combining the hoops legend and fine wines because of the "Larry Legend personality."
Jill Leone, Bird's representative, said he will help develop and market the wines.
"When he was retired from the Celtics he dabbled in growing grapes and so he's had an ongoing interest," Leone said.
Bird played for the Celtics for 13 years, helping Boston win three NBA championships. In 2003 he became the president of basketball operations for the Indiana Pacers.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Cavs' James after loss: 'Not a very good team'
- Nowitzki keys Mavs' rally to put away Thunder
- Suns spoil Kobe's return for 6th straight win
- Spurs win to snap 6-game skid vs. Rockets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Vintage Dirk Delivers For Mavs
- Starting at center for an injured Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki dropped 30 on OKC as the Mavs held on.