Howard has ankle sprain; Mavericks add Griffin
Griffin played 69 games for the Chicago Bulls last season, averaging 2.2 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.00 steal in 9.7 minutes a game. He started 157 games for Dallas in the 2001-02 and '02-03 seasons.
Swingman was supposed to be a strength for Dallas, but that was before Jerry Stackhouse was injured, Doug Christie was waived because of injuries and Josh Howard was injured Saturday night. Keith Van Horn also has been slowed by a hand problem.
Stackhouse has yet to play this season. An MRI on Monday revealed Howard has a moderate right ankle sprain, and the team hasn't set a timetable for his return.
Griffin fills the vacancy created when Christie was waived.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant lauds LeBron's move, unsure of own
- Boeheim calls Rose 'most impressive' player
- Lakers greats hail 'right guy' Scott as coach
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Dallas Mavericks Dirk Nowitzki NBA Bracelet