Howard has ankle sprain; Mavericks add Griffin
Griffin played 69 games for the Chicago Bulls last season, averaging 2.2 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.00 steal in 9.7 minutes a game. He started 157 games for Dallas in the 2001-02 and '02-03 seasons.
Swingman was supposed to be a strength for Dallas, but that was before Jerry Stackhouse was injured, Doug Christie was waived because of injuries and Josh Howard was injured Saturday night. Keith Van Horn also has been slowed by a hand problem.
Stackhouse has yet to play this season. An MRI on Monday revealed Howard has a moderate right ankle sprain, and the team hasn't set a timetable for his return.
Griffin fills the vacancy created when Christie was waived.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Cavs' James after loss: 'Not a very good team'
- Nowitzki keys Mavs' rally to put away Thunder
- Suns spoil Kobe's return for 6th straight win
- Spurs win to snap 6-game skid vs. Rockets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Vintage Dirk Delivers For Mavs
- Starting at center for an injured Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki dropped 30 on OKC as the Mavs held on.