Jazz await NBA approval before disciplining Whaley
"The Utah Jazz have made a decision on what they would like to do, but we need to wait for approval from the NBA due to a collective bargaining agreement," team spokeswoman Linda Luchetti said.
She said it would likely be several more days before an announcement is made about any punishment Whaley could face.
Whaley cut his hand on glass the same night he was involved in a bar fight in Park City. He later told the Jazz he cut his hand while taking a sharp kitchen knife away from his 2-year-old son.
Whaley and teammate Deron Williams were cited Wednesday with one count each of providing false information to a peace officer following the bar brawl, Park City Police Lt. Rick Ryan said.
Police say a few Denver Nuggets fans started the fight when they recognized the Utah players.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- NBPA taps 1st big league female union chief
- Sources: Clippers' Griffin has back fracture
- Bulls' Rose: Confidence 'through the roof'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Brooklyn Nets Deron Williams Replica Revolution 30 Black Basketball Jersey