Hoiberg unsure if he will try to play with pacemaker
Hoiberg, who had surgery in the offseason to repair an aneurysm in his aortic root, said Friday night that his heart specialist laid out all the information for him, but stopped short of clearing him to play again in the NBA.
That leaves three possibilities, Hoiberg said. He can return to play this season, take the rest of the season off and try to make a comeback next year, or retire to avoid further health risks.
"The good thing now is I've done all my testing, I've seen all the doctors I need to see," Hoiberg said. "Now it's up to my family and myself to try to make the right decision on what's best for us. It's going to be a very tough decision."
Hoiberg, who led the NBA in 3-point shooting last season, had a CT scan and echocardiogram earlier this week to examine how his heart is progressing. He met with Dr. Barry Maron, a renowned specialist on athletes with heart conditions, on Friday for a final opinion.
"He didn't say yes, he didn't say no," Hoiberg said. "He just threw everything out there in front of us and told us to try and make the right decision."
Hoiberg plans to hold a family meeting next week with his parents, his wife Carol and his children to try to come to a consensus.
If Hoiberg decides to return, he could not play for the Minnesota Timberwolves, the team he has played for the last two seasons.
Owner Glen Taylor waived him under a one-time amnesty provision under the new six-year collective bargaining agreement agreed to in July, both to save money and to keep Hoiberg from trying to return too quickly.
He has served as an adviser and quasi-assistant coach for the Wolves this season, but coach Dwane Casey said he would have no problem if Hoiberg chose to play for another team this season.
"The key is his health, above basketball, above anything else," Casey said. "He's a competitive guy. Don't let that innocent look fool you. He has to weigh those things in the decision."
The 10-year veteran did not set a timetable for the decision and didn't hint that he was leaning one way or the other.
"I'm not going to rush into this," he said. "There's too much to worry about if I do make a rush decision."
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Rivers: 'It's going to be hard' facing Celtics
- 76ers' Carter-Williams out with knee infection
- Williams returns, powers Nets past Celtics
- Clippers sign veteran F Jackson to contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Minnesota Timberwolves Ricky Rubio #9 Black Game Time T-Shirt