Rockets sign forward Hayes for rest of season
The 6-foot-6 Hayes has averaged eight points and eight rebounds in six games since re-joining the team on Jan. 18. Hayes first signed with Houston as a rookie free agent on Oct. 3, but was waived before the regular season.
The former Kentucky star was then selected sixth overall in the 2005 NBA Developmental League Draft by the Albuquerque Thunderbirds. In 14 games with Albuquerque, Hayes averaged 11.6 points and a league-leading 12.2 rebounds per game.
Also Saturday, the Rockets allowed the second 10-day contract of guard John Lucas III to expire. Lucas, an Oklahoma State rookie and the son of former Rocket John Lucas, Jr., averaged 2.3 points and 0.9 assists in 13 games.
The Rockets play Miami on Sunday.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Warriors edge Blazers on Thompson's late 3
- Davis' 40 points, 21 boards power Pelicans
- Clips down Cavs for 11th straight
- Allen gets hot late, leads Heat over Rockets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Houston Rockets climalite Red Flex Fit Hat