Erving on cover to commemorate '81 MVP win
NEW YORK -- Julius Erving can add one more honor to his Hall of Fame resume: He's on the cover of the Wheaties box.
Erving's box was unveiled Wednesday at the NBA Store, continuing Wheaties' tradition of honoring legendary black athletes for Black History Month. Dr. J joins the likes of Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, Althea Gibson, Hank Aaron and Walter Payton as Black History Month honorees.
"I am very proud to be featured, especially when you consider the outstanding champions who have had this honor," Erving said. "It is great company to be in."
The special-edition box, which also celebrates the 25th anniversary of Erving's winning the 1981 NBA MVP for the Philadelphia 76ers, is now available nationwide.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Lillard's 3 sends Trail Blazers by Cavaliers
- Thunder rattle Nuggets to grab 7th in a row
- Kobe scores 21 as Lakers get past Grizzlies
- LeBron (ankle) misses practice, game-time call
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Philadelphia 76ers Alternate Ultimate Red T-Shirt