Erving on cover to commemorate '81 MVP win
NEW YORK -- Julius Erving can add one more honor to his Hall of Fame resume: He's on the cover of the Wheaties box.
Erving's box was unveiled Wednesday at the NBA Store, continuing Wheaties' tradition of honoring legendary black athletes for Black History Month. Dr. J joins the likes of Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, Althea Gibson, Hank Aaron and Walter Payton as Black History Month honorees.
"I am very proud to be featured, especially when you consider the outstanding champions who have had this honor," Erving said. "It is great company to be in."
The special-edition box, which also celebrates the 25th anniversary of Erving's winning the 1981 NBA MVP for the Philadelphia 76ers, is now available nationwide.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant's 42 help OKC secure second seed
- Griz seize No. 7 slot from Mavs with OT win
- King of jersey sales: LeBron is tops in NBA
- Thompson likens Griffin to 'bull in china shop'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Philadelphia 76ers climalite Navy Performance Polo