Raptors waive Antonio Davis

Updated: March 23, 2006, 5:29 PM ET
Associated Press

TORONTO -- The Toronto Raptors waived Antonio Davis on Thursday, effectively ending a season in which the center was suspended for five games for climbing into the stands after his wife got into a confrontation with a fan in Chicago.

Davis missed the past 12 games after injuring his back in the third quarter of a game against Miami on Feb. 27. He was acquired in a trade with New York on Feb. 3, shortly after serving his suspension. He appeared in eight games with Toronto averaging 4.4 points and 4.5 rebounds in 23.9 minutes.

"After receiving a second opinion on Antonio's lingering back problems, it is very unlikely that he would return to competitive action this season with the Raptors," said Bryan Colangelo, the team's president and general manager. "After lengthy discussions with Antonio regarding his physical condition and his general sense of disappointment over his personally difficult year, we have concluded that it's in the best interest of both the organization and Antonio Davis to simply release him at this late point of the season."

When Toronto acquired him he took a few extra days to report, but said he would honor his contract.

The trade came a day after Davis' wife, Kendra, was charged with misdemeanor battery for allegedly throwing a cup of coffee at a woman during a traffic dispute last fall.

Davis, who had previously played with the Raptors from 1999-2004, is the franchise's all-time leading rebounder with 2,839. The 38-year-old said he was contemplating retirement after a trade from Chicago to New York before the season.

Davis is the president of the NBA players' association. He is in the last year of contract that pays him almost $14 million this season.


Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press