Gilbert: LeBron is top offseason priority
CLEVELAND -- Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert took out full-page advertisements in the region's biggest newspapers Wednesday and assured the basketball faithful that re-signing LeBron James is the team's top priority.
The James-led Cavaliers ended their playoff run Sunday in a 79-61 Game 7 loss to Detroit.
Gilbert spent $25,000 to publish the thank-you letter to Cavaliers fans in The Plain Dealer and the Akron Beacon Journal. His note also outlined summer improvement plans for the team, including that "opportunity to re-sign a key player [I think you know his name] or two."
On July 1, the Cavaliers can offer James a five-year, $75 million deal that would lock him up through the 2011-12 season.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Thompson likens Griffin to 'bull in china shop'
- Sources: Kobe to begin workouts after trip
- Bucks announce sale of team, won't move
- Knicks bring veteran forward Odom aboard
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Miami Heat LeBron James Bron T-Shirt