Grizzlies re-sign guard Atkins to one-year contract
Atkins averaged 11.4 points, 1.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 43 games with the Grizzlies after signing with them on Jan. 23 -- five days after agreeing to a buyout of his contract with Washington. He was averaging 6.7 points and 2.5 assists with the Wizards, but was dissatisfied with his playing time.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Having him and Damon Stoudamire as experienced point guards who can mentor our younger players is invaluable to this team," Grizzlies president Jerry West said in a statement.
The 5-11, 185-pound Atkins joined the league as a free agent with Orlando in 1999 and has also played for Detroit, Boston and the Los Angeles Lakers.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Thunder fire back to rout Lakers in rematch
- Dunleavy, Noah carry Bulls past Rockets
- McHale: Noah is Defensive Player of Year
- Woodson: Jackson would only help Knicks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Memphis Grizzlies Mike Conley #11 Gametime Navy T-Shirt