Karl expects K-Mart to be with Nuggets next season
DENVER -- Nuggets coach George Karl said he expects forward Kenyon Martin to be with the team for the start of the season, despite rumors of a trade following off-court problems at the end of last year.
"I would think so," Karl said Tuesday. "He's on the team."
Karl and Martin had a confrontation during halftime of Game 2 of a playoff series last season against the Los Angeles Clippers. Martin was suspended for the rest of the series, won by the Clippers in five games.
Asked about trade possibilities for Martin, Karl said, "I never have [thought Martin would be traded]."
Martin, who suffered knee injuries last season, has five years and $72 million left on his contract. Karl and Martin met July 8 in Las Vegas, their first conversation since the April 24 playoff incident.
Karl said Martin, who underwent left knee surgery in May 2005, will have workouts later this summer and the Nuggets will evaluate his health.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press