Timberwolves sign second-round pick Smith
Smith, a 6-foot-7 standout at Boston College, was selected with the 36th overall choice this summer. He averaged 17.6 points and 9.4 rebounds in 36 games for the Eagles, earning first team all-conference honors in the ACC. He finished as the school's all-time leading rebounder.
Though last year's second-rounder, guard Bracey Wright, spent most of the season playing in the NBA's developmental league, Smith should have a chance to make the team. The Wolves are short on reliable, proven depth around perennial All-Star Kevin Garnett in the frontcourt.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Kobe: Debut not really as 'bad as I thought'
- Cousins powers Kings to win over Mavericks
- Kings get 'proven scorer' Gay from Raptors
- Griffin leads short-handed Clips by Sixers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Minnesota Timberwolves Authentic Draft Knit Hat