Man arrested in connection with Pacers incident

Updated: October 10, 2006, 4:49 PM ET news services

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man was charged with criminal recklessness for a fight outside a strip club in which police say Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson fired a gun in the air, was slugged in the mouth and hit by a car.

Deon Willford was arrested Tuesday on felony counts of criminal recklessness and leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, and a misdemeanor count of driving without a license, police said.

The 23-year-old Willford drove the car that hit Jackson, said police spokesman Sgt. Matthew Mount. Other details of the fight could be released this week if police wrap up their investigation, Mount said.

Willford was being held at the Marion County Jail on $100,000 bond. Roger Rayl, a spokesman for the Marion County prosecutor's office, said no court appearances had been scheduled yet for Willford.

Police also questioned another Indianapolis man, who was later released. Police were still looking for a possible third person who had been with the other two men at the time.

Four Pacers were involved in the mayhem at Club Rio early Friday. Police said Jackson fired a gun in the air in apparent self-defense and was struck by a car that sent him tumbling onto the hood.

Coach Rick Carlisle said Saturday that Jackson and teammates Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels and Jimmie Hunter committed an "error in judgment" by staying out late during training camp but he was relieved no one was seriously injured.

Police said they found a small amount of marijuana in the passenger-side door of point guard Tinsley's car. But no arrests were made because there were three others in Tinsley's car and police could not determine who had the marijuana, authorities said.

Jackson was expected at Pacers practice Tuesday for the first time since the fight.

The Indianapolis Star reported on Monday that Jackson has had his probation extended one year after he did not complete the terms of the sentence he received for the 2004 brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Oakland County (Mich.) assistant prosecutor John Pietrofesa told the paper that last week's incident had no bearing on his decision because no charges were filed.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.