Walton to stay with Lakers after agreeing to 6-year, $30 million deal
Luke Walton reached agreement Sunday with the Los Angeles Lakers on a six-year, $30 million contract after general manager Mitch Kupchak placed a call one minute after midnight to express the team's interest in retaining its best unrestricted free agent.
"They called at the earliest possible moment, and we worked on it all day," agent Lon Babby said. "They wanted him back, and Luke wanted to be there. We wanted to make every effort to get an agreement before we went out and looked at any other teams."
Babby said Hill's list of possible teams now includes, in no particular order, Detroit, Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and Orlando.
"The financial considerations are fairly low on his list of priorities. He wants the opportunity to play on a championship team, and if he has to make a financial sacrifice, he would do that," Babby said.
Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Heat use late charge, top Bobcats in Game 1
- Duncan, Spurs rally past Mavs in Game 1
- NBA: Refs missed late foul on Clippers' Paul
- After loss, Indy's George wants Teague task
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NBA Free Agency
The NBA's offseason is well underway. Check out our complete coverage of Free Agency 2007.
• 2007 player movement chart
• Complete free agent list
• Lakers re-sign Mihm
• Nuggets sign Atkins
• Nets agree with Magloire
• Milicic signs with Memphis
• Report: Bulls agree to deal with Smith
• Williams agrees to re-sign with Bucks
• Kings add Moore
• Blazers sign Blake
• Hornets sign MoPete
• Fisher rejoins Kobe in Lakers' backcourt
• Hill's heading to Phoenix
• Stack's sticking with Mavs
• Pistons re-sign Amir Johnson
• Bobcats re-sign Wallace
• Mavs re-sign George
• Billups, Pistons agree to multi-year deal
• Magic complete sign-and-trade for Lewis
• Carter re-signs with Nets
• Walton re-signs with Lakers
• Raps sign Kapono, Baston
• Ford: Managing the salary cap
• Hollinger: Grading early free-agent deals
• Hollinger: Magic make early noise
• Sheridan: Top 25 free agents
• Hollinger: Impact of summer of '08