Fisher returns to Lakers after 3 season hiatus
They came into the NBA together in 1996, Fisher taken with the Lakers' 24th draft pick and Bryant obtained in a draft day trade with Charlotte.
Fisher, who turns 33 on Aug. 9, cleared waivers Thursday, and the Lakers scheduled a news conference for Friday to announce his signing. The contract reportedly is a 3-year deal worth about $14 million.
He had asked the Utah Jazz to release him from his contract so he could concentrate on finding the best medical care for his 1-year-old daughter, Tatum, who has cancer in her left eye. The Jazz honored his request.
Fisher played eight years in Los Angeles, including three NBA championship seasons, before signing with Golden State as a free agent after the 2003-04 season. After two seasons with the Warriors, he was traded to Utah.
The 6-foot-1, 185-pounder averaged 10.1 points, 1.8 rebounds and 3.3 assists for the Jazz last season. He has career averages of 8.7 points, 3.3 assists and 2.2 rebounds.
He made one of the most dramatic shots in Lakers' history with his desperate "0.4" second shot in the fifth game of the 2001 Western Conference semifinals against San Antonio.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
NBA Free Agency
The NBA's offseason is well underway. Check out our complete coverage of Free Agency 2007.
• 2007 player movement chart
• Complete free agent list
• Lakers re-sign Mihm
• Nuggets sign Atkins
• Nets agree with Magloire
• Milicic signs with Memphis
• Report: Bulls agree to deal with Smith
• Williams agrees to re-sign with Bucks
• Kings add Moore
• Blazers sign Blake
• Hornets sign MoPete
• Fisher rejoins Kobe in Lakers' backcourt
• Hill's heading to Phoenix
• Stack's sticking with Mavs
• Pistons re-sign Amir Johnson
• Bobcats re-sign Wallace
• Mavs re-sign George
• Billups, Pistons agree to multi-year deal
• Magic complete sign-and-trade for Lewis
• Carter re-signs with Nets
• Walton re-signs with Lakers
• Raps sign Kapono, Baston
• Ford: Managing the salary cap
• Hollinger: Grading early free-agent deals
• Hollinger: Magic make early noise
• Sheridan: Top 25 free agents
• Hollinger: Impact of summer of '08