Battie to have shoulder surgery, likely out for season
He partially tore a ligament a few weeks ago in a pickup game. He had an arm on center Dwight Howard as Howard backed toward the bucket and felt the shoulder give.
Battie knew surgery was the likely option after seeing two doctors just before training camp. He had been a lineup fixture, one of a dozen players in the league to start all 82 games two years ago. The season before Battie played 81.
Battie has averaged 6.7 points and 5.6 rebounds in 10 years with Denver, Boston, Cleveland and the Magic.
With the 6-foot-10 Battie out, offseason acquisition Adonal Foyle and rookie Marcin Gortat could be called to fill the post beside Howard. Gortat was drafted in 2005 but has stayed overseas, playing only in the NBA Summer League.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Riley says Heat OK after LeBron's departure
- Sources: Love trade talks narrowed to Cavs
- Sources: 76ers fighting new lottery proposal
- Stern praises Silver for handling of Sterling
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Orlando Magic Sure Shot Snapback Black Hat