Preseason game canceled as wildfires threaten San Diego
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The preseason game between the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz scheduled for Thursday night at San Diego was canceled because of the devastation caused by wind-whipped fires that forced at least 346,000 homes in San Diego County to be evacuated.
"There is simply too much devastation in the area and too much uncertainty about what will happen in the next few days," Tim Harris, the Lakers' senior vice president of business operations, said Tuesday as the teams played at Honda Center.
"After many internal discussions about many different factors, we've concluded that this is simply the right thing to do. The people of San Diego have been very supportive of us over the years, and in turn, we want to be supportive of them in this time of crisis."
The announcement was made in a release handed out on press row just before the final horn. Before the game, Lakers coach Phil Jackson told reporters that he didn't support going to San Diego.
"It's a city that's obviously depressed and recovering, and people are limiting things they have to do," Jackson said. "They're asking people to limit their outdoor activity, and they're also talking about resources. So there are considerations there. I understand that the mayor lately has asked people to stay at home and hunker down underneath this thing until it passes."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- LeBron says he is going back to Cleveland
- Sources: Bosh agrees to max deal with Heat
- Source: 'Intrigued' Love will commit to Cavs
- Sources: Knicks or Bulls for Melo; Lakers out
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Despite more than a dozen wildfires in Southern California, conditions have improved enough for the Chargers and Texans to still play their game in San Diego. The shifting flames have burned across nearly 600 square miles, destroying nearly 2,000 homes and prompting evacuations from north of Los Angeles, through San Diego to the Mexican border.
News• Chargers rout Texans in emotional game
• NFL, NFLPA donate $250,000 to fire relief
• Texans-Chargers will play Sunday in San Diego
• Report: Stadium would be ready Sunday
• Games postponed because of California wildfires
• Fires damage one of Seau's San Diego homes
• San Diego St. practicing indoors at Aztec Center
• Carson Palmer's home among those evacuated
• Brees deals with home troubles
• Chargers leave for Arizona with heavy hearts
• Wildfires postpone San Diego State game
• Lakers cancel preseason game in S.D.
• Mickelson, family forced to evacuate
• Suns GM Kerr evacuates
Analysis• Chadiha: Chargers handle chaos, Texans
• Buckheit: Eyewitness to the fires
Podcast• LT talks about fires approaching
Blog• Katz: San Diego State's Fisher flees home
ABCnews.com coverage• Evacuations, closures in Southern California
• Utter devastation