Suns GM Kerr forced to evacuate S.D. area home
PHOENIX -- Phoenix Suns general manager Steve Kerr was among the hundreds of thousands forced to evacuate from their homes because of advancing wildfires.
Kerr said his family were evacuated Monday morning from their home in Rancho Santa Fe, north of San Diego.
"There have been about 30 homes in our neighborhood that have burned down," Kerr told KTAR radio in a telephone interview from San Diego on Tuesday night. "We've been lucky to this point. Our house is still standing and apparently things have taken a turn for the better. We look like we're in good shape right now, but there's still a ways to go so it's a little scary."
The former University of Arizona star and longtime NBA sharpshooter said several of his friends lost their homes.
"It's unbelievable of the magnitude of it all," Kerr said. "We're all the way downtown probably 20 miles from the fire now, and there's still ash everywhere on the streets down here."
Kerr said he and his family are staying with a friend.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Veteran Pierce heading to Wizards
- Cavs coach: Wiggins 'not going anywhere'
- Sources: LeBron's Cavs deal for just 2 years
- Heat front-runner to land Deng, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Despite more than a dozen wildfires in Southern California, conditions have improved enough for the Chargers and Texans to still play their game in San Diego. The shifting flames have burned across nearly 600 square miles, destroying nearly 2,000 homes and prompting evacuations from north of Los Angeles, through San Diego to the Mexican border.
News• Chargers rout Texans in emotional game
• NFL, NFLPA donate $250,000 to fire relief
• Texans-Chargers will play Sunday in San Diego
• Report: Stadium would be ready Sunday
• Games postponed because of California wildfires
• Fires damage one of Seau's San Diego homes
• San Diego St. practicing indoors at Aztec Center
• Carson Palmer's home among those evacuated
• Brees deals with home troubles
• Chargers leave for Arizona with heavy hearts
• Wildfires postpone San Diego State game
• Lakers cancel preseason game in S.D.
• Mickelson, family forced to evacuate
• Suns GM Kerr evacuates
Analysis• Chadiha: Chargers handle chaos, Texans
• Buckheit: Eyewitness to the fires
Podcast• LT talks about fires approaching
Blog• Katz: San Diego State's Fisher flees home
ABCnews.com coverage• Evacuations, closures in Southern California
• Utter devastation