Marbury not expected to make trip to Charlotte
Marbury has missed six of the last nine games since his father died Dec. 2.
Thomas hesitated when asked if he expected Marbury to bounce back and be a contributor.
"He's really having a rough time," Thomas said. "I hope that he can come out of this because he's having a very difficult time."
Marbury officially did not attend Thursday's practice because of a combination of flu-like symptoms and personal reasons. Thomas did not expect him to travel to Friday's game at Charlotte.
Donald Marbury died after becoming ill while attending a game at Madison Square Garden. Stephon Marbury was in uniform for Wednesday's win over Cleveland but did not play. He had rejoined the team Sunday and played Monday, but didn't practice Tuesday on what would have been his father's birthday.
"We'll get him as much time as he needs," said Thomas, who hadn't spoken with Marbury on Thursday. "Again, he's having a very difficult time."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Anthony confirms new contract with Knicks
- Sources: Deng joins Heat for 2 years, $20M
- Parsons to join Mavs as Rockets won't match
- Bosh: 'No bitter feelings' on LeBron leaving
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's New York Knicks Amar'e Stoudemire Replica Revolution 30 Royal Basketball Jersey