Spurs add journeyman guard Johnson, waive rookie Williams
Johnson has played for Atlanta, New York and Denver during a seven-year NBA career that was interrupted when he broke his neck in a car accident in 2002. He returned to the NBA a year and a half later with the Knicks.
The 27-year-old Johnson had his best season in 2001-02, when he averaged 8.4 points and 3.4 rebounds in 72 games with the Hawks. His career averages are 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds. He started this season with the Spurs' NBA Development League team in Austin, averaging 15.8 points and 6 rebounds in 10 games.
Williams, the 33rd pick in the draft, appeared in his only game with the Spurs on Wednesday against Chicago. He averaged 3.3 points and 2.6 rebounds in seven preseason games.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Phil signs on as Knicks president
- Nuggets hand Heat 5th loss in last 6 games
- 76ers drop 19th straight, on cusp of record
- Clips lean on defense to stretch streak to 10
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth San Antonio Spurs Black Sheen Wristlet