Rockets' Yao sits out vs. Jazz with respiratory infection
HOUSTON -- Houston center Yao Ming sat out the Rockets' 97-89 loss Sunday against Utah with an upper respiratory infection.
The 7-foot-6 Yao, voted the starting center for the Western Conference for the All-Star Game on Feb. 17, told team officials he felt sick when he arrived at the Toyota Center for a workout on Sunday morning, coach Rick Adelman said.
"The doctors looked at him and they don't think it's worth the chance," Adelman said. "We'll just have to move on."
"The only thing that really changes for us is the fact that, without Yao, there's nobody with a low-post presence he has," Adelman said. "As far as our offense, Carl or Luis, they're interchangeable. Defensively is where there are some things we're going to have to be aware of."
Yao averaged 25 points and 10 rebounds against Utah in the first round of last year's playoffs.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Heat erase 2nd-half deficit, take down Pacers
- Sources: Lakers no longer shopping Gasol
- Wolves cool Blazers behind Love's big night
- Clips overwhelm Pelicans in Davis' return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Houston Rockets Jeremy Lin Replica Revolution 30 Red Basketball Jersey