Carlisle says talks are 'moving along,' could be hired by Mavs Friday
Friday is the earliest that the Dallas Mavericks will complete the expected hiring of Rick Carlisle as their new coach, according to NBA coaching sources.Sources told ESPN.com that Carlisle is scheduled to make his second trip to Dallas at week's end after two days' worth of interviews with the Mavericks last week that established him as the clear favorite to replace the fired Avery Johnson.
• Rick Carlisle played five seasons in the NBA and was a member of the 1986 champion Boston Celtics.
• He has coached six seasons in the NBA and made the playoffs every year except his last with Indiana in 2006-07.
• His 2001 Pacers team won 61 games but lost in the Eastern Conference finals to the Pistons, the team he'd coached the year before.
-- ESPN Research
Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Sterling, Ballmer have 'friendly' talk
- Carter: LeBron wasn't pushed to Cavaliers
- Kings rally late to claim summer-league title
- LeBron kicks off tour of China with pianist