Australian league rookie of year Jawai signs with Raptors
The 21-year-old was selected in the second round, 41st overall, by the Indiana Pacers in last month's NBA draft. The Pacers traded his draft rights, along with Jermaine O'Neal, for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic, forward Maceo Baston and the draft rights to center Roy Hibbert.
The 6-10, 280-pounder earned rookie of the year honors last season in Australia's National Basketball League, where he averaged 17.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in 30 games for the Cairns Taipans.
He will play for the Raptors in the Las Vegas summer league, with the first game scheduled for Saturday.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Love out for Team USA amid uncertain status
- Sources: Lakers offer coaching job to Scott
- Melo: It was 'always Chicago or New York'
- Report: NBA considering 7-day All-Star break
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis Toronto Raptors 16 oz Logo Tumbler