Williams decides to retire two months after signing with Clippers
- Williams, who helped the Miami Heat to the NBA title in 2006, averaged 11.4 points, 6.3 assists and shot 39.6 percent from the floor in 679 games.
The point guard was drafted seventh overall pick in 1998 out of Florida by the Sacramento Kings and averaged 12.8 points and six assists as a rookie.
Williams joined the Memphis Grizzlies three years later, and in 2001-02 averaged 14.8 points and eight assists. In four seasons with the Grizzlies, Williams became the club's career assists leader.
He played for the Heat from 2005-2008, and started all 23 playoff games in Miami's title run. He signed with the Clippers on Aug. 7.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Source: 'Looks like' Phil will take Knicks' job
- Cavs' Bennett out 3 weeks with knee injury
- Injury won't sideline Warriors' Curry vs. Mavs
- Magic rookie Oladipo to return against Bucks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Women's Los Angeles Clippers Red Scoop Neck Tank
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index