With Jawai sidelined, Raptors add Sampson for frontcourt help
The Raptors announced Monday that Jawai will be held out of practice because of concerns from a routine cardiac screening. The first indigenous player from Australia to be drafted by an NBA team, Jawai was the 41st overall pick in June.
Toronto opened training camp Tuesday and has 14 players on its roster.
Sampson, a five-year veteran, has played for Charlotte, Denver, the Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee and Sacramento. He has averaged 2.0 points and 3.4 rebounds in 72 career games. He was a second-round pick by Utah in 2002.
Ralph Sampson was a four-time All-Star and the 1983-84 NBA Rookie of the Year.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant lauds LeBron's move, unsure of own
- Boeheim calls Rose 'most impressive' player
- Lakers greats hail 'right guy' Scott as coach
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis Toronto Raptors 16 oz Logo Tumbler