Forward Gay misses game against Heat with staph infection
Gay will be a game-time decision for Memphis' exhibition finale Wednesday against the Orlando Magic. The team did not reveal specifics of the infection, other than saying it was "in his leg area."
There are several different kinds of staph, and the most common cause skin infections and irritations limited to small area of a person's body.
Gay was the Grizzlies' leading scorer last season, averaging just over 20 points per game. He averaged a team-best 16.8 points in Memphis' first six preseason games.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Heat erase 2nd-half deficit, take down Pacers
- Knicks' Chandler returns, starts vs. Bucks
- Sources: Lakers no longer shopping Gasol
- Davis (broken hand) back in Pelicans' lineup
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Memphis Grizzlies Team Colorway Navy Printed Pants