Hurt back shelves Kidd for Denver game
Kidd missed practice Thursday and was held out of a shootaround Friday, but coach Rick Carlisle hoped his star point guard would still be able to play Friday night. He couldn't, sitting out for the first time after playing 100 straight games since joining the Mavericks in a trade 13 months ago.
Kidd is averaging 9.2 points, 8.3 assists and 6.3 rebounds.
"This is not the time you want to be losing one of your top, most important guys," Carlisle said before the game. "We'll cross our fingers and hold our breath."
J.J. Barea started in Kidd's place, with Jason Terry likely to share some of the ballhandling duties.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- LeBron says he is going back to Cleveland
- Sources: Bosh agrees to max deal with Heat
- Reports: Gasol closing in on deal with Bulls
- Source: Love 'intrigued' by deal to Cavaliers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Dallas Mavericks Chosen Navy Shorts