Attorney general to prosecute Williams
NEWARK, N.J. -- The New Jersey attorney general's office will take over the manslaughter prosecution of former NBA star Jayson Williams.
An office spokesman said Wednesday that it would replace the Hunterdon County prosecutor's office for Williams' retrial on a reckless manslaughter count stemming from the shooting of a hired driver in 2002.
Current and former employees of the county office testified last week in a hearing to determine whether the case has been tainted by racial bias. It was disclosed two years ago that a county investigator used a racial slur to describe Williams, who is black.
Williams was convicted of covering up the shooting, but the jury deadlocked on a reckless manslaughter count.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Jordan rules: 'Cool' with No. 23 for LeBron
- Sources: Wolves eye PF Young if Love dealt
- Poll: LeBron's reputation near pre-Decision level
- Scott not wasting time: Lakers must play D
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Brooklyn Nets Kevin Garnett Replica Revolution 30 White Basketball Jersey