Love to miss 6-8 weeks
The team said Thursday that the operation, which took place in New York, went well. Dr. Andrew Weiland inserted three screws into Love's hand, which was broken during a preseason game on Oct. 16 against Chicago.
Love is expected to miss six to eight weeks while recovering.
He averaged 12.5 points and 11.5 rebounds per game in the preseason. He averaged 11.1 points and 9.1 rebounds last season and led the NBA in offensive rebounding percentage, the first rookie to do so since Hakeem Olajuwon 24 years ago.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Clippers roll by Nuggets for record 57th win
- Griffin, Redick won't travel for Clippers' finale
- Carmelo has small labrum tear in shoulder
- Adelman, Timberwolves facing crossroads
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Minnesota Timberwolves Kevin Love #42 Blue T-Shirt