O'Neal hopes to play Friday vs. Bobcats
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Shaq is ready to be back.
O'Neal doesn't sound like he needs to wait that long.
"I'm playing," he said Wednesday night after the Cavs beat Detroit without him.
O'Neal has missed six straight games since getting hurt Nov. 12 against Miami, trying to block a dunk.
The Cavs have been cautious with O'Neal after acquiring him from Phoenix in an offseason trade in the hopes of keeping the 37-year-old center healthy for the second half of the season and playoffs.
He hoped to play against the Pistons after practicing Monday.
O'Neal has averaged 11.3 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1½ blocks in nine games.
The Central Division-leading Cavs are 6-3 with O'Neal in the lineup and 5-1 without him.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Lopez has broken bone in foot, out for Nets
- Thunder tame Spurs, take home 9th in row
- Noah regretful but calls Perkins 'angry dude'
- Buzzworthy: Charlotte unveils Hornets logo
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Spalding Cleveland Cavaliers Full-Sized Court Side Basketball