Yao hopes to be 'completely recovered'
SHANGHAI -- Yao Ming says he is recovering well after foot surgery and hopes to return to the NBA by next season.
The 7-foot-6 Houston Rockets center who is out for the season after having surgery in May says Friday "I'm definitely recovering and the recent results of my checkups allowed me to make this long trip back to Shanghai from the U.S."
Attending an event to mark the launch of a public service announcement about protecting sharks by the San Francisco-based conservation group WildAid, Yao said, "I might be completely recovered by next season."
Yao has said he wants to allow enough time for his bones to fully heal following the operation to repair a hairline fracture in his left foot.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Thunder fire back to rout Lakers in rematch
- Dunleavy, Noah carry Bulls past Rockets
- McHale: Noah is Defensive Player of Year
- Woodson: Jackson would only help Knicks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Houston Rockets Dwight Howard #12 Gametime Alternate Red T-Shirt