Grizzlies' Gay out with sprained ankle
Gay first injured the ankle Dec. 16 in the Grizzlies' 110-97 loss to the Atlanta Hawks. He left the game but played in the four games since, averaging almost 19 points over that span.
He reaggravated the injury Saturday in a loss at Dallas.
Gay, who averages 20.6 points and 6.1 rebounds, had started all but one game this season: Nov. 30 at Utah. He was out for personal reasons.
DeMarre Carroll, a rookie out of Missouri, started his first NBA game in place of Gay. Carroll averages 3.6 points and 2.6 rebounds in 27 games.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant lauds LeBron's move; unsure of own
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- Lakers greats hail 'right guy' Scott as coach
- Sources: Clippers' Griffin has back fracture
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Memphis Grizzlies FedExForum Signature Stadium Photo