Report: Arenas to change to No. 6
The suspended guard submitted paperwork to go from No. 0 to No. 6, and the NBA approved the change, league spokesman Tim Frank confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday.
Arenas has worn zero since college, saying he picked that number because that's how many minutes people expected him to play at Arizona.
Last Friday was the deadline for NBA players to file paperwork seeking a new number. Cavaliers star LeBron James asked to switch from No. 23 to No. 6 next season.
Arenas was given a season-ending suspension by the NBA for bringing guns to the locker room. He pleaded guilty to a felony gun possession charge in January and is scheduled to be sentenced March 26.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Kobe likely out six weeks with injured knee
- Thunder take 8th in row; home mark at 13-0
- Perkins, Noah in testy locker-room squabble
- Short-handed Spurs slip past Curry, Warriors
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NBA On ESPN.com
- Spalding Washington Wizards Full-Sized Court Side Basketball