Gentry's option for 2011-12 picked up
PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns have exercised the option year of coach Alvin Gentry for the 2011-12 season.
Gentry guided the Suns to a 54-28 regular season, third-best in the West. Phoenix eliminated Portland and San Antonio in the playoffs before falling to the eventual NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference finals.
The Suns also have signed assistant coaches Bill Cartwright, Dan Majerle and Igor Kokoskov through the 2011-12 season. John Shumate, an assistant last season, is expected to return to scouting duties.
Phoenix is 71-42 since Gentry took over following the firing of Terry Porter at the All-Star break in February 2009.
Owner Robert Sarver said Gentry "has done a phenomenal job." The moves came after Steve Kerr announced he would not return as general manager. Kerr's contract expires on Wednesday.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Cavs' James after loss: 'Not a very good team'
- Nowitzki keys Mavs' rally to put away Thunder
- Suns spoil Kobe's return for 6th straight win
- Spurs win to snap 6-game skid vs. Rockets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Vintage Dirk Delivers For Mavs
- Starting at center for an injured Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki dropped 30 on OKC as the Mavs held on.