Willie Green loses sister, cousin in crash
DETROIT -- Authorities say the sister and a cousin of New Orleans player Willie Green were killed in a Detroit-area crash a few hours after the Hornets lost to the Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills.
Troy police Lt. Robert Redmond says family members have identified the victims as 30-year-old Tamara Green and 27-year-old Ben Green. They were killed early Monday when their sport utility vehicle sped from a freeway and slammed into a tree.
The pair and other relatives had attended the game to watch University of Detroit Mercy alum Willie Green play his hometown professional team.
The Hornets say Green has left the team to return to Detroit and will miss Monday night's game in Indianapolis.
Green averages 7.9 points and 2.9 rebounds in about 21 minutes per game.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- NBPA taps 1st big league female union chief
- Sources: Clips star Griffin has back fracture
- Bulls' Rose: Confidence 'through the roof'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth New Orleans Pelicans Primary Logo Navy Long Sleeve Shirt