West has been out since tearing his left anterior cruciate ligament during the Hornets' victory at Utah on March 24 and is not expected to return to the court until next season.
Hornets orthopedist Dr. Scott Montgomery says West has been preparing for surgery since the injury by getting the swelling down.
The Hornets say Tuesday's surgery was performed by Dr. David Altchek in New York and that the typical rehabilitation period is six to eight months.
West has one season remaining on his contract, but could choose to opt out and become a free agent.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Brooks: Durant could be scoring even more
- Harden scores 41, rallies Rockets for OT win
- Noah, Augustin lead Bulls over Heat in OT
- Meeks erupts for 42 as Lakers stun Thunder
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Women's New Orleans Pelicans Iron Clad Navy T-Shirt
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index