Kings ready to announce decision
The owners of the Sacramento Kings will announce Monday whether the team will seek a move to Anaheim or play next season in Sacramento.
Co-owner George Maloof said he and his family have made that decision, but are waiting to announce it until they discuss their decision with NBA officials, The Sacramento Bee reported.
"We need to get with the NBA and inform them first," Maloof said, according to the report. "Then we can make an announcement."
The Maloofs have until Monday afternoon to file paperwork with the NBA requesting a move. The team would need a simple majority of at least 16 votes from the NBA's 30 owners to make the move and play next season at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
Last month, the city's corporate community presented the NBA with more than $10 million in sponsorship pledges to remain in Sacramento for at least one more season, giving leaders time to put together another effort to build the new arena the Maloofs say they need.
The city, whose mayor, Kevin Johnson, is a former NBA All-Star, has been trying to prove to the league that it remains a viable NBA market.
The team has played in Sacramento since 1985, when it moved from Kansas City. It's one of the NBA's most-traveled franchises, with roots in Rochester, N.Y., and stops in Cincinnati, Kansas City and Omaha.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Wolves coach upset by spoof of Love return
- Sources: Rockets fear Howard out for 'weeks'
- Hawks survive Sixers scare; streak now at 19
- Thunder fall to Grizzlies in Durant's return