Howard goes down early in Game 2
DENVER -- Dallas forward Josh Howard was sidelined after just six scoreless minutes in the Mavericks' 117-105 Game 2 loss against Denver because of a sprained right ankle.
The Mavericks' energizer went to the bench late in the first quarter after he appeared to land awkwardly on his right foot while trying to block Carmelo Anthony's layup.
Howard has been hampered all season by a balky left ankle and sprained his right one in the first half of the opener Sunday night at Denver.
Howard missed 30 games in the regular season but his return sparked Dallas down the stretch and he played a key role in the Mavericks' elimination of San Antonio in the first round.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Phil signs on as Knicks president
- Nuggets hand Heat 5th loss in last 6 games
- 76ers drop 19th straight, on cusp of record
- Clips lean on defense to stretch streak to 10
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Dallas Mavericks Dirk Nowitzki #41 White Gametime T-Shirt